Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:31:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
MC is right, also, a lot of Pet Shops deal with a lot of different snakes and have a 'generic' setup for snakes that will keep them all 'healthy', but maybe not ideal. It would be very difficult to keep 50 different species in ideal conditions. Royals can be very very picky, especially compared to your Boas.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay here's to clarify some things from the caresheet now i have had a good read of it to familiarise myself with it again. i am just picking out key points here, so if you feel anymore should be added... do it. or discuss LOL.
Habitat: They are a terrestrial species that are active at night and hide away during the day. They prefer life on the ground and frequent forest floors and grassy savannas in their natural habitat
okay so now we know they prefer ground dwelling and hides to emulate burrows. but we also know they occasionally like branches to climb on.

Quarantining your new Royal Python is good practice if you have other snakes in the household. 2-3 months should be a minimum quarantine period
(sorry, no offense BE but i thought i would pop this one in too as earlier you mentioned a 6 month quarantine, though as far as i am aware the OP didnt have any quarantine in place)

Temperament: They have a very docile temperament, as they are more likely to curl up in a ball to protect themselves than strike at a potential threat. They are easy and safe to handle, despite their size, and make a good choice for people who are new to snake keeping.

Handling: Royal Pythons are quite a timid species and some do not appreciate being handled for long periods of time. Regular handling is still important though, to allow your snake to get used to human contact and to exercise outside of the vivarium

Since Royal Pythons are notoriously bad eaters, as they will refuse a feed if they are stressed, being over-handled or are not kept in the correct conditions, it is best not to worry if your Royal Python misses the occasional meal. Concentrate on resolving the cause of your Royal's anxiety and they will usually begin feeding again once they become more comfortable

Royal Pythons are not highly active and do not need huge enclosures

Royal Pythons are very inquisitive animals and like to explore new surroundings. Once in a while change the layout of the vivarium; this will keep your Royal from becoming bored. You will notice once you put your snake back in the tank it will start to re-explore its new surroundings

so basically they are timid, docile, not highly active but inquisitive.
could changing the scenery actually stress them out, or would the fact that everything still smells the same mean that there isnt much of an effect?
has anyone found that after a full clean out of the viv, their royal has had feeding issues?
sorry if it's a bit like i am flogging a dead horse now, i am merely trying to clarify things
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:40:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
None taken, I agree 3 months is a minimum, 6 months ideal.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

(sorry, no offense BE but i thought i would pop this one in too as earlier you mentioned a 6 month quarantine, though as far as i am aware the OP didnt have any quarantine in place)

6 months is advised for boas because they will take alot longer to show symptoms of problems such as IBD.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

6 months is advised for boas because they will take alot longer to show symptoms of problems such as IBD.

right o, sorry i know next to nothing about boas (despite me owning a crb lol) and i know even less about IBD :s
Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quarantining your new Royal Python is good practice if you have other snakes in the household. 2-3 months should be a minimum quarantine period
- three months quaratine was given

Handling: Royal Pythons are quite a timid species and some do not appreciate being handled for long periods of time. Regular handling is still important though, to allow your snake to get used to human contact and to exercise outside of the vivarium
- i open the viv door if they come out i have them out if they dont they stay in, 9 times out of 10 they all come out.

Temperament: They have a very docile temperament, as they are more likely to curl up in a ball to protect themselves than strike at a potential threat. They are easy and safe to handle, despite their size, and make a good choice for people who are new to snake keeping.
- This is where it is confusing not this percific paragragh but your caresheet states a royal is a good beginners snake, (i always thought that was a corn snake but hey) but as you have said there is so much stuff you need to get right with them a begginner would find this hard? Do you not think?

Since Royal Pythons are notoriously bad eaters, as they will refuse a feed if they are stressed, being over-handled or are not kept in the correct conditions, it is best not to worry if your Royal Python misses the occasional meal. Concentrate on resolving the cause of your Royal's anxiety and they will usually begin feeding again once they become more comfortable
- as for this my snake have alwaysssssssss eaten, sometimes funny when shedding but Marley my milksnake that was and only once. also i had a massive clean out yesterday so i will let you know when i feed the tomorrow if they are funny.

Royal Pythons are very inquisitive animals and like to explore new surroundings. Once in a while change the layout of the vivarium; this will keep your Royal from becoming bored. You will notice once you put your snake back in the tank it will start to re-explore its new surroundings
- As i said in my post i change all my vivs around weekly/fortnightly to give them all a change. They all check it out, like wow theres something new to climb on or hide under

MissCat i have a couple of pics of my Costus's viv for you to see
Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/Toothfairy85/?action=view¤t=SP_A0229.jpg" "http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/Toothfairy85/SP_A0229.jpg"
"http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/Toothfairy85/?action=view¤t=SP_A0228.jpg" "http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/Toothfairy85/SP_A0228.jpg"

hope this has worked, not use to this photobucket lol. I will point out you will notice no moss hide in there as i am allergic to it
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toothfairy

"http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/Toothfairy85/?action=view¤t=SP_A0229.jpg" "http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/Toothfairy85/SP_A0229.jpg"
"http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/Toothfairy85/?action=view¤t=SP_A0228.jpg" "http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy80/Toothfairy85/SP_A0228.jpg"

hope this has worked, not use to this photobucket lol. I will point out you will notice no moss hide in there as i am allergic to it

If you copy and paste the [IMG] link it puts the picture here.
anywho, i like your set up, i apreciate you are allergic to moss, no biggie, there are other things that can be used and many people dont even used a damp hide and just do the misting when thy are in shed, not sure there's a set right or wrong for that.
firstly, everyone has different set ups so pretty much anyone with no constructive critism or questions... well lol...
i take it you do have some hides in there though? :D
do you have the heat bulb on a dimming stat? (not that i know anything about that form of heat as i use ceramic bulbs in vivs only having natural dayllight, and mats in rubs... again that's personal preference not gospel.)
what were u measuring temp with? not gona get into teh whole dial vs digi argument as far as hygrometers go as i use the dial on in my royals viv cos i only need a rough idea for it i reckon. but after having had bad times with dial thermometers (surprised my royal not burned) i am pro digi thermometers lol.
that's all i can say really, frankly i have seen far worse set ups.

p.s sorry took ages to reply, severe multi tasking going on.

Edited by - MissCat on 24/06/2009 21:24:19
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

cool, sorry for implying otherwise

- i open the viv door if they come out i have them out if they dont they stay in, 9 times out of 10 they all come out.
that's what i do, though i would say the probablity of Ra coming out on his own would be about 2/10 LOL and the chances of athena would be: eat my face off/definately! rofl

- This is where it is confusing not this percific paragragh but your caresheet states a royal is a good beginners snake, (i always thought that was a corn snake but hey) but as you have said there is so much stuff you need to get right with them a begginner would find this hard? Do you not think?
this is something that has been argued about a lot on the dark side and i am inclined to agree... however i think if you have seriously researched your A**E off for months before, it could work. certainly if i had known what i know now i would have gotten a corn first, and i dont even like them (despite having two of them as well lol)

- as for this my snake have alwaysssssssss eaten, sometimes funny when shedding but Marley my milksnake that was and only once. also i had a massive clean out yesterday so i will let you know when i feed the tomorrow if they are funny. cool, cheers

- As i said in my post i change all my vivs around weekly/fortnightly to give them all a change. They all check it out, like wow theres something new to climb on or hide under
mine do, but only very briefly, then it's back to hiding... however, that said.... they do trash the viv over night, especially the one thats in the rub. since they are nocturnal animals in nature, i guess this is when they are being active and i just dont ever get to see it.

MissCat i have a couple of pics of my Costus's viv for you to see commented :D

again, sorry took me so long. i hate busy days >.<
Go to Top of Page

dave 68
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so you are saying it is adequate then.........
Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use a dimmer thermometer so it does it all itself, all got light with cages so thats all good all my snake have hide, Marleys is a range rover he lovvvvvvvves it lol he has other hides but he loves his car!
i did copy and paste but that how it came through.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave 68

my personal opinion, yes. not in anyway an expert however so it doesnt make me right.
slightly bigger than i would have personally chosen... however i know people who have kept them in bigger and far less suitable vivs and had no problems. so no, i see no evident problems with the set up :D
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i use a dimmer thermometer so it does it all itself, all got light with cages so thats all good all my snake have hide, Marleys is a range rover he lovvvvvvvves it lol he has other hides but he loves his car!
i did copy and paste but that how it came through.

yea i saw the cages :D a range rover hide?! ace! :D Ra had a little tikki hut, it was so sweet and he loved it, but he has out grown of it now so has a cereal box :( the corn has the tikki hut now lol.
ooh one suggestion however, when u say u have a dimmer thermostat, do u have any separate digi thermometers? only sometimes the thermostats arent entirely accurate, dunno about dimmer ones but i have noticed some serious different temperatures from what mat stats/pulse stats have been set to be and what they actually are. depends on age/brand of stat i believe....
if that makes sense?

Edited by - MissCat on 24/06/2009 21:51:46
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave 68

i love that viv...it looks really cool...puts mine to shame...lol

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  21:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one thing though...

keep an eye on the other royal for anything that might not seem right...just in case...

because you dont know what took the life of your other one..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  22:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what are your temps reading on your thermometer?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  22:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am keeping an extra close watch on him, you know how it is. Yes i even have to put his rover in his feeding spot because he has to take his food under it lol typical male with cars. My viv is three ft and two ft deep. it is a three tier so it houses Steve in the middle it is a acurate size for when he is fully grown. Plus there is plenty for them all to do
do you have a pic of your viv?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  22:11:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wolfspirit, i have had her two months

quote:

she has been with the male for approx a month

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  22:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When she was first purchased i got her from a friend before she was put with any snake she had been quaratined
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  22:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love that size vivs, that is what i have my royal in and a corn in another, they are brilliant for feeding in cos they have that space that the 15 or 18 inch ones dont have...and it allows them to stretch...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000