Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  00:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My royal seems ok but he`s spending all of his time under the warm hide in a ball. i took him out the other day jus to check him and i put him under the heat buld and he jus stayed there curled up is this due to stress or what i think he`s ok but its strange he isnt going back under his hide?

~AJG~

0.1.0 Corn Snake - Crystal

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  07:05:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You haven't had him long, I would advise against handling for now if it were me.

Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  11:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok ill leave him alone till sunday then try to feed him because he was supposed to be fed again today so hopefully he`ll be hungry if he doesnt take it ill try him again next sunday

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  18:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, yes, they tend to 'freeze' - nothing to worry about - they are slow starters, and given a period to settle in he will be fine. Know it's nerve-wracking - have been through it all with mine - I got him a new hide today but daren't disturb him till tomorrow as he was fed on Wed. He'll be fine. He'll be dead quiet and withdrawn and then suddenly surprise you by rampaging round his viv! All the best!

Go to Top of Page

Aaronjg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  23:35:52  Show Profile  Visit Aaronjg's Homepage  Click to see Aaronjg's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks he`s two years old and the other i bought wasnt very old at all it still ad the slit on its belly from the egg yolk and that died of stress but hopefully cos this one is older it wont stress out as much jus want to see if itll feed for me on sunday

Many thanks Aaron

~AJG~

Go to Top of Page

Solkan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  10:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem,i brought Syler home sunday and he had a good look around before hiding up.
He came back out about 10 p.m but since then has decided to stay camped up behind his hide on the hot end under some plants.

I was abit worried as he doesn't seem to have drunk anything or moved at all but as the store owner said he's eaten thursday i was gonna try him on something tomorrow to see if he comes out.
My ambient temp is at about 85 with the sensor abot 3 inches of the substrate in about the middle of the viv.

I'm using a ceramic heater if that makes a difference and i haven't handled him yet as i was told to wait until he feeds then another 48 hrs.

Come over to the dark side.....we have cookies!!
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  12:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bare in mind they are most active in the still of night so although you don't see them doesn't mean they are not active and drinking.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Solkan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  13:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's because i'm still holding back handling him until i try and feed him tomorrow.although that will be his first feed as i only got him Sunday.
Just want to know he's ok and make sure he's not going into shed like someone suggested to me today but as i've not seen him i worry........i'm a worrier

Plus i found out today that someone who works for another branch of my company breeds royals and could have sold me a Bummblebee or a spider...........if only i'd have known,although he says he's only got a ghost and a spider/ghost het (or otherway around)female and male pair for £650 said they'd produce honeybee's or something like that :)

Edited by - Solkan on 15/09/2010 14:27:12
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  18:44:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
He's fine, don't worry

Go to Top of Page

Solkan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  07:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was out lastnight....yay :)
Although he went and hid in the cool end this time,but decided to rest his head on the side of his waterbowl and sit staring at me for 20 minutes.

I think he may be hungry :)

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  13:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're all different I guess, apart from a couple of hours hiding after we got him home from the store, ours has been a model pet, feeds, sheds and poops like an automaton. You read this and that about not handling too much etc and I suppose thats a good guide, but for example, most evenings, mine is out and tapping on the glass virtually demanding to be taken out, and apart from two days after feeding, we usually oblidge. Seems happy as the proverbial and I can't ask for better than that.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  14:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royals are boring pets. They do nothing much but hide 90% of the time. And when they do come out they usually wait until the room is super quiet and dark. That's the normal behavior of royals.

I'd be more worried if they're cruising around the viv a lot. That's an indicator of a stressed royal.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  21:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

Royals are boring pets. They do nothing much but hide 90% of the time. And when they do come out they usually wait until the room is super quiet and dark. That's the normal behavior of royals.

I'd be more worried if they're cruising around the viv a lot. That's an indicator of a stressed royal.

Or a sign of feeding time due...

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  22:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:
Originally posted by anatess

Or a sign of feeding time due...

True that!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Solkan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  10:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so i tried to feed last thursday which had mixed fortunes,i tried to get him to strike which i nearly did but as i had the incorrect tongs i kept dropping it and he went back into his hide.

I decided to leave it overnight just incase and it was gone when i woke up :)
He's mostly hid up in the evening but at about 23.00 he sticks his head out for a few minutes then dissapears back in,so all normal behaviour it seems.

On a side note i handled him for the first time on Sunday which was fine up until i put hi back in 20 min later,as he decided to have a little strike at me when i moved my hand across the front of the viv.

Probably my fault but i've decided to not handle him again until this Sunday,assuming he eats tonight i'll have given him 2 weeks to settle in with only the one handling.
However i am unsure about a few strike feeding details such as,do i need to have him out of the hide when i feed?

Also he hasn't pooped or shed since i got him home,although i only got him 2 weeks this sunday.And i always seem to get 2 or 3 yawns out of him when he first appears of an evening but i see no signs of R.I so i'm hoping he's just having a yawn :)

Edited by - Solkan on 23/09/2010 10:47:54
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  10:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it depends on a few factors such as the substrate you're using, only reason I take Valhalla out to feed is that she has bark and chippings in her viv which could be taken in with the mouse by an accident.

I've heard that if you take them out of the viv they won't associate your hand coming in to handle her with your hand coming in to feed her but I'm not sure how much truth is to that.

Also: Woohoo! the first piece of knowledge I've departed onto somebody

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Edited by - Kelfezond on 23/09/2010 10:46:44
Go to Top of Page

Solkan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  10:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe and i thank you for that :)

I'm using an plain bagged aspen which the bloke at the supplies place uses for his royals,and he said he feeds inside the viv but i did wonder about feeding outside.
Just didn't want to handle him too much just yet until he's settled in till atleast the weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  13:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I fed Valhalla the first time inside the viv as to not stress her out as well, I just placed something over the substrate and places the mouse on that. Doesn't seem to matter with her though as the first thing she does with her mice are lift them into the air and eat them suspended above the ground anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Solkan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  13:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah i placed a square of paper on top on the substrate and left it overnight,but i wanna get him to eat infront of me.
I'd prefer not to take him out to feed atm as i was told he wasn't handled that much and i didn't want to stress him out by removing him to feed or as was suggested by a friend.....remove anything that gets caught up on the fur as he's eating :(

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  14:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He'll probably feed after a bit of persistence, took valhalla 3 attempts before she ate in front of me, and then a 4th before she struck for it :)

Keep us updated on how he's doing :)

Go to Top of Page

Solkan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  15:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do :)

I'll try and get a few pictures on Sunday when i try and handle him again :)

Edited by - Solkan on 23/09/2010 15:09:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000