Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  13:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

Offered her her mouse a couple of days ago with tongs and she went into an S and went very still quite a few times but didn't actually strike it.

Going to offer again today. And if she doesn't take it I'll wait till next week.

But I'm worried I'm doing something wrong here. Here's my feeding process, tell me if I'm getting anything wrong.

1. Take her out of faunarium and but her in a plastic recycling bin tub.
2. Mouse in warm/room temperature water for an hour to fully defrost. Then 4 minutes with the hair dryer.
3. Then tongs and shake in front of her face.
4. Keep holding till tongs.
5. Drop mouse by accident and spook her. Pic it up and start again.

In total I waited about 2 minutes each time for her before I dropped it by accident.

6. Put mouse away and put her back in faunarium after a quick weigh.

Should I do anything different tonight?

I don't know if she was fed in her RUB or out before, I wanted to encourage feeding outside so she doesn't associate a hand coming into her faunarium with food. Or am I wrong there?

0.0.3 Koi Carp

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  14:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that your doing it wrong, but a few comments.
1, FAUN are not good for balls.
2, 4 mins under a hairdryer, thats medium rare then? a blast of 30 seconds should be enough.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  15:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always feed in the viv and have never had a problem, I prefer it that way so as not to disturb them after they have fed. just make sure your hands don't smell of rat when you put them in when not feeding :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  15:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mark and Robert - I used to try to feed out of viv myself but the snakes went on strike (or rather didn't go on strike lol!) So I gave in and have had much better results since.

LOL - I'm expert at letting dead ratty wriggle out of the tongs too!

I'd leave at least 5 days between feeding attempts - she won't waste away overnight. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  19:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try ditching the defrosting in room temperature water, it wont help speed up a defrost unless its warm water and may be washing off/diluting the strong scent that your snake is used to. I just wrap the rat in cling film and leave it out a few hours, before feeding I'll give it a good squeeze to make sure there are no cold bits (other than blast with a hairdryer, it helps to get a strike) then just bung it in the viv and give the snake some peace and quiet.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  19:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, missed that - sorry if we're overloading you with info but yes, I'd plastic wrap/bag rodent and leave to defrost naturally to keep full flavour (yummmmmy!) in. I bag the critters up the night before feeding and put in fridge to defrost; in the morning I leave them on warm top of fishtank for an hour or two, and then, for the royals, give ratty a 30 second blowdry before offering.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i always leave the rats to thaw out naturally next to the rubs, thatway they get to smell their food for an hour or so before hand, i believe it builds their appetites, well it works for me.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All really helpful thanks. She's done 3 strike feeds with CPR so I'll put it down to first week nerves. The mouse has been in the fridge for a couple of days anyway so if its not gone by tomorrow morning (popped it in just now after a quick hair dry) then I'll chuck it out and wait till her next scheduled feed on thursday.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  11:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would ditch the mouse if it's already been defrosted for couple of days.
Agree with others who say feed in viv, just makes it easier all round.
i put mine in a zip lock freezer bag of warm/ hot water to deforst. Doesn't take
long at all for mice. That way the whole body is warm and when you take it out the bag
you can really smell the mouse scent. Quick super heat on the head with a hair dryer,
works every time, well almost. I aslo found holding the mouse/rat between the shoulder blades rather than dangling by the tail gave a better response.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  14:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Royalbob, get rid of that mouse, I would attempt to feed in viv with a fresh mouse, if you dont get a strike dont worry, lay the mouse on some kitchen roll and just leave it in overnight, if its not gone in the morning then take it out and bin it. You have to remember these rodents aren't a steak they have food in their stomachs, gunk in their guts, its going to start going bad as soon as its defrosted, this isn't a issue for 24 hours or so but after that they'll start to inflate like little fluffy balloons.

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  17:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup got rid of it after it was still there this morning. I'll put it down to first week nerves. Will try a viv feed next time and thanks for the advice about defrosting, my mouse was a tad damp so I guess madam didn't really like that.

@Royalbob, I don't really understand what you mean by between the shoulder blades, at the moment I'm dangling the mouse by its midsection with the head down. Are you saying that I should be doing it the other way round with tail down?

Hopefully next week she'll be properly hungry so she'll scoff it down.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  18:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I know what Bob means - yes, basically grab it up near the scruff of its neck and 'dance' it up to the snake ...the little defrosted toerag may still escape from the tongs lol but try and make like it's pretending to be a meerkat ...apologies ratty!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  18:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you dangle by the tail your hand and tongs etc are looming over the proceedings, if you put the rat face closest to the snake and then have the tongs and your hands hidden behind there wont bee that great big looming tong-monster to defeat for the rat.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  19:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ah, I know what Bob means - yes, basically grab it up near the scruff of its neck and 'dance' it up to the snake ...the little defrosted toerag may still escape from the tongs lol but try and make like it's pretending to be a meerkat ...apologies ratty!

Exactly. just imagine the mouse standing up. shoulder blades are in the same place as ours.
dark room, warm bodied scent oozing mouse with a nice hot head moving around like it's still alive. hard to resist. just don't bang the snake on the head lol. Be creative, watch the snakes movements, sometimes just takes a while.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  19:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - and play some Barry White while you'rRAT it!!

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  20:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahahaha... maybe I should refill her waterbowl with some chardonnay? I get it... act like the mouse is a puppet and make it do a little dance to attract the attention of her majesty, who if she is feeling like pleasing me, and if she's feeling peckish, and if she's not in a bad mood, MAY strike?

I'll get my coat

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  20:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frambo

Ahahaha... maybe I should refill her waterbowl with some chardonnay? I get it... act like the mouse is a puppet and make it do a little dance to attract the attention of her majesty, who if she is feeling like pleasing me, and if she's feeling peckish, and if she's not in a bad mood, MAY strike?

I'll get my coat

LOL!

Go to Top of Page

scooterboy71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  22:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic here, i made the mistake last week of trying to feed both royals and they had not settled into their new home & they diddnt feed so i left it till today (a week)..and after a bit of softly softly catchy monkey !! my spider fed..but the pastel still has not so ill leave another week and try again, i have learnt a lot from this thread, like useing a hair dryer !!& how to present food. i have been defrosting at room temp for a few hours then warming up by way of warm water..but will change things next week..not like feeding boas are they..!!!

1.1.0 common boa
0.1.0 retic white albino python
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 pastel royal
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  00:09:43  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Although i agree with most comments its really all about your royal and after some time you will no what works,

for instance i acctually get george out to have carpet walkies, then when he goes back i dangle the rat and wham bam thank you......

where as alot of royals would cope with being overly handled before feeding,

my gfs snake is a little more fussy so we leave her be.

as for defrosting, i put the rat in an air tight container until its defrosted (about 3 hours fluff)so george cant smell it then when i open it a strong whiff comes out, and after a few minutes of warming on a heat mat, dinner is served

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  02:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, someone on here, could have been Hodgie, once advised blowdrying the rat in the direction of the viv so that the snake got the aroma - doesn't half work with Saada - these days she strikes!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  22:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hair dryer definitely works with my lot.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave