Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  01:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've not had Oscar long but I defrost on the windowsill through the day and he's fed early evening. He's strike fed every 4 days for 4 feeds now. I don't use a hairdryer but I do use my tongs and feed in viv (tried out of viv when I got him but he wouldn't eat). I hold the mouse as horizontal as I can at the rear end so when Oscar strikes he gets the whole head. So far, it's worked every time. I never touch him after he's fed or the next day if I can stop myself, so I always get him out on the morning of feeding and have a play.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.

Edited by - GMac on 29/08/2011 01:24:21
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  07:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lorraine, congrats on feeding. Try to jump to every 5 - 7 days. 4 is a bit to frequent.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  13:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks bob, will do, and apologies to GMac..I know what you edited, lol.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  14:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo what did GMac edit??

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  18:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm, another word for 'rear' lol.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  16:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The word that begins with 'a'???

That word has been used by the mods themselves up till now!!

Haha, but they can't stop us saying BALLS!!!!

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  16:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thanks all the tips on here... she ATE!

I put her in the recycling bin and covered her with an atlas so it was totally dark inside. After a couple of minutes I took the mouse/rat (how to tell which?) out of its freezer bag in warm water and gave it a blast with the hair dryer. I think I overdid it as there was a slight smell of singed fur and its ears started to wrinkle but madam obviously doesn't mind it well done.

When I took the Atlas off her I dancer the mouse/rat up to her, where she coiled into a Strike S but also balled up a bit. She didn't seem interested so I got a bit frustrated and nudged her in the face a few times with mouse/rat.

I thought, 'that's it, she's not interested, and now I've just scared her' when all of a sudden I heard the tongs snap shut as it was ripped out and she constricted it. I went and gave the tail a yank and she held on tighter. At this point I noticed some blood around mouse/rat's head and one of its eyes started to ooze blood.

She then let go, sniffed it all over and then with some amazing strength flicked it across the bin. At this point I thought she'd lost interest but next thing I knew, she cruised over to it, grabbed it's head, went into the 'I think I'm a cobra' pose (while holding the thing by its head) and opened her mouth and did a gravity assisted swallow. Downed it like a russian and his vodka. Few twists and it was right down in her stomach and she was looking most pleased with herself.

Then gently picked her up, transferred her to Faun where she is now squashed into her hide and digesting. I wonder when she's due to poop- this is her 4th feed so far.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  16:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats - that's great! Good girl!

Difference between rats and mice ...

As D3lboys says, rats are bigger ...This is a large weaner (very young) rat and an exbreeder (mother) mouse - ratty has heavier, blunter head and almond eyes; mousey is daintier, smaller head, pointier nose, narrower tail ...

Yum!

She may not take a dump until she sheds ...royals can go for weeks without doing anything, must be a BIG relief when they do ...

Edited by - n/a on 31/08/2011 13:31:25
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  17:13:38  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just another little tip, i like to make the rat seem to act as realistic as possible so i make it snuffle about on the floor of the viv (sound effects help obviously!) I start a distance away from Florence and work up to her, keeping the rat at ground level. I always let some of the blowdry air get into the viv and always defrost on top of the viv in the hot spot where the lamp is. All these things seem to help with Florence but they all have their little preferences!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  10:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bats, in that case I'm most certainly feeding her mice. She shed about 4 days ago and ate yesterday... no idea when she'll grace me with a dump but I have no doubt I will be notified by the smell coming through the vents of the faun haha.

@Sandi, I'll try that next time thanks. She didn't seem to want to strike until the mouse was kicking her in the face so maybe a little more seductive mouse dancing will help next time.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  16:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

The word that begins with 'a'???

That word has been used by the mods themselves up till now!!

Haha, but they can't stop us saying BALLS!!!!

Yep, that's the one lol.

I'm chuckling here about the recyling bin and atlas, lol. Last week, Oscar missed his first strike and the mouse went flying across the viv.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  06:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i personally feed all my snakes out of the viv, i defrost the rats in warm water then dry/warm them with the hairdryer then hold them by the tail a few inch's from snakey. my rat snake strikes every time an touch wood my royal has strike fed both times so far
my corn does not i place it in the rub for her.
as not to handle after feeding i put the corner of the feeding box in the viv and gently tip it up then the snake goes back in on their own

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  14:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't bother with a hairdryer. I take the rat out on the day of feeding and let it defrost at room temperature. Before feeding the rat goes in a sealable bag in a bowl of hot water and stays there for 120-15 minutes. Prior to feeding, I take the snake out and some of the furniture in the viv. I cover the substrate with kitchen towell and immediately prior to feeding, pop the snake back in. Then feed by hanging the rat upside down by its tail with tongs. The snake has never failed to strike or eat its prey. After feeding I remove the kitchen towell and replace the furniture. Simples.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000